Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Siebengebirge Youth Exchange and Camp




Siebengebirge Youth Exchange and Camp



I sincerely say that my experience in Siebengebirge was a total blast. Words are not enough to describe how much I gained from this experience. I guess I can state that not only did I enjoy the scenic adventures in Deutschland but moreover I met people of different countries who taught me a lot about the importance of history, cultural exchange, liberty and friendship.

Most Asians like me have to acknowledge the fact that we are somewhat isolated in terms of European History and events, which makes it more interesting for us to listen and take advantage of the youth camp activities. The opportunity to learn more about Deutschland is an eye opener for us to learn the basics of European History, culture, places and happenings—as many would say it’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Furthermore, it’s not only the place that made the camp so special and memorable, more the less the bond, companionship and friendship with my co-camp participants deserve the credit. I know that all of us made the worst and best of who we are, yet, we managed to enjoy what’s laid in front of us. What’s truly out of the ordinary was that in such a little time we started to care for each other, we have to look at each others back in times of confusion and predicaments. Though I can honestly say that the group wasn’t as solid as we wanted it to be, at least we learned how to control ourselves to prevent further chaos and distractions. All the things that took placed between all of us was an event to remember. All of us where unique and our individualities pushed us to know more about other people and their way of life. Friendships were formed based not only by our similarities but also because of our indifferences. The friendship that I found most especially to those whom I shared most of the inside jokes will surely remain in my heart for as long as I live.

I had to admit that my experience at the camp made me realize that I was still a kid who’s too dependent to her family, boxed out and naïve of what is happening to the rest of the world. In the span of almost a month specifically for the last 2 weeks, I knew something within me changed, I grew up perhaps not in inches but with a lot of knowledge, wisdom and courage to face the world on my own. This camp did not only allow me to become a better and more mature person, but it also pushed me to learn and explore more.

So much fun—so little time. It breaks my heart that we only had a very limited to spend together, but it is surely a fact that every single thing and event that took place at the camp will be forever in my heart. In Germany I never felt like an Auslander, it feels like home to be there. Es was eine sehr schone Reise. Ich will zuruck, Ich Liebe Deutschland.

P.S... OFCOURSE Vielen Dank to the camp leaders who were really good, persistent
and patient with us, to Daniel and most especially the group’s mommy SOPHIE.
Lastly there’s no camp without a very energetic and youthful Gunter Sandvoss who
made everything possible at the tip of our hands. It’s a pleadure to meet you
Mr. Sandvoss, I’ll make it a vow that I come back to your country.

No comments: